I’m happy to announce I have enrolled in the Automobile University!!!
I actually enrolled while I was still on the bus and I believe that’s part of the reason I was able to get off with no car payments. For those who are not familiar, the Automobile University is actively listening to educational content during your commute. I love Drake’s new album just as much as the next person, but I’m not learning anything by repeating his lyrics and taking on his emotional baggage.
What I do during my commutes now is listen to different podcasts with hosts who offer advice and guidance on topics such as growing wealth, finding work you love, self-promotion, and garnering side hustles. All of these things are excellent skills for the modern day actor. In fact, it was these podcasts that helped me determine today’s topic: WHAT CAN WE DO WHILE WE WAIT???
Well, the first thing we can do is NOT WAIT.
I have an amazing team of agents at Atlanta Models & Talent, Inc., but I know that I won’t be auditioning or filming every day at this stage in my career. Here are a list of things I do between filming and auditioning.
1. I blog. Not only does it help document my journey, but it allows me to help other people along the way.
2. I create content. I have written plays, short films, and webseries. Everything I write does not end up on the screen but it keeps me fresh and hot for those opportunities that are around the corner. When I do produce projects, it gives me the chance to get some visibility online and at film festivals. These are both steps in the right direction.
3. I seek work. I’m grateful for my agents but they are not responsible for my career. If I am not successful, it’s not their fault. I seek work and submit myself to projects outside of what they send me to and nothing is too small. I have done background work, audience work, Craigslist work, and student films.
4. I volunteer. If you know folks who are in production and you like their work, ask if you can help out! They may not cast you immediately but if something comes up, they won’t have to go looking for you if you’re already on their set.
5. I read books on acting. Someone smart said reading three books on a particular topic makes you an expert. How many books have you read regarding your career?
New Posts Every Tuesday!